Previous Lawyer Next Lawyer

Evelyn J. Herrera - Law and Mediation Office of Evelyn J. Herrera

Ms. Evelyn J. Herrera

www.ejherreralaw.com


Law and Mediation Office of Evelyn J. Herrera
1970 Broadway
Suite 625

Oakland, CA 94612
USA
510-893-3711

Thank you for looking over this information. For more details please visit my webpage: ejherreralaw.com.

I began my practice to help people deal with difficult legal issues. My practice includes Immigration Law, Family Law, and Mediation. In all of these areas of law I make every effort to provide the client with most up to date information and assist navigating difficult processes.��
Office centrally and conveniently located in downtown Oakland - 19th Street BART accessible. Over eighteen years of experience assisting clients with legal issues. Provide expertise to ensure speedy processing with least expense.��

  • Immigration Law -��Represent clients in all aspects of family and employment based visa petitions, consular process, and adjustment of status - for new arrivals and long term residents.�� Case taken recently including DACA, VAWA, U Visa, cancellation of removal, and waivers - provisional and regular. I provide expertise to ensure speedy processing with least expense.��
  • Deportation Defense -��Represent clients in all aspects of deportation defense at San Francisco Immigration Court.�� Practice includes waiver requests, prosecutorial discretion, VAWA, and cancellation of removal.
  • US Citizenship -��Represent clients in all aspects of Naturalization process for long term residents - including criminal conviction issues.
  • Family Law - I handle divorces from a practical - problem solving - perspective; with my client's budget in mind. ��I have represented clients in Alameda, Contra Costa, and San Francisco courts. ��Contact me for any property division or child custody concern.
  • Mediation��- In mediation I focus on listening to both parties��regarding the problems they are seeking to resolve.��My approach is practical yet creative. I'm optimistic��that an equitable and reasonable solution can be��found to any problem.

Background

As��an immigrant, raised in Los Angeles among immigrants, I was drawn to the practice law naturally. I had many experiences as a child helping translate for family members and neighbors. I saw how laws impacted the people in my neighborhood without their full understanding of their problems or solutions. As a result I naturally wanted to help people solve legal problems.

I am a graduate of California State University of Los Angeles and of Santa Clara University School of Law. My first position was as the only legal aid lawyer in Kings County. My areas of practice there included government benefits, eviction defense, and case appeals. I began working in the San Francisco Bay Area as staff attorney for Legal Assistance for Seniors (LAS). At LAS I handled elder abuse and housing disputes. Then I developed the family law practice at Law Center for Families handling divorce, guardianships, and adoptions. After that I began my own office to assist my clients immigrate their family members, prevent deportation, and providing pre-conviction consultation.
I am distinguished in the market place because of my work with immigration and family law, and have the trained ear of a mediator. Many times marriage visas do not end in a happy ever-after.
�� Also some cases involve gathering and understanding documents from previous marriages. For cases involving domestic violence knowledge of both fields is critical.

I am a long standing member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association - a national organization which helps me stay informed on all things immigration. I served on the board of La Raza Centro Legal in Fruitvale district. I also served as an arbiter on attorney/client fee dispute cases for the Alameda County Bar Association. Reviewing the work of other attorneys in this context showed me the importance of client communication and satisfaction.

Recent work includes: Executive Committee member for Family Law section of Alameda County Bar Association; listing on court panels for mediators in San Francisco, Contra Costa, and Alameda counties; on the panel for appointment by Family Court judges to represent minors in custody disputes in Alameda County Superior Court; and writing blogs, articles, and newsletters on immigration law and on alternative dispute resolution.